Thursday, February 9, 2012

They call me Mama


Mother

mother moth·er (mŭ&phonth;'ər)
n. A woman who conceives, gives birth to, or raises and nurtures a child.


They call me "Mama".
I have been called "Mama" now for over 25 years.  I am Courtney's mama, Megan's mama, Hunter's mama and have even been referred to as "Mama" by a number of my children's friends.  It is a name that has been bestowed on me with lots and lots of love.


As each of my grandchildren began to talk they called me "Mama".  So the list grows, I am Jayden's mama and Kaydence's mama.    "Mommie" is what they call their mothers but when they come a running, they call me "Mama".  When I see those little ones running toward me with arms wide open, all smiles and yelling, MAMA! - my heart just melts and I go to my knees and grab them up in my arms.


One day while doing some research at work, I came across the definition of Grandmother:

Grandmother
1. the mother of one's father or mother.

2. a female ancestor.

"A female ancestor"?  That sounds so...so dead, cold and OLD!  Who describes their grandmother as a female ancestor?  Who WANTS to be referred to as a female ancestor?  There is no loving endearment or sentiment in that description. So, I looked up the word, "Mama".
Mama
a. a sexually attractive, usually mature woman.

Now, that's the description I prefer!

even Harley Mama!



"A mother becomes a true grandmother the day she stops noticing the terrible things her children do because she is so enchanted with the wonderful things her grandchildren do."   ~Lois Wyse

No comments:

Post a Comment